NC Wedding Cakes and Bakeries
There is no doubt that your wedding day will be one of the most exciting and memorable days of your life. Prior to the big day, there are many important decisions to make.One of the most important decisions is picking your wedding cake! Whether you are a sweets lover or not, having a delicious dessert at your reception is something every guest will appreciate. No matter what kind of wedding you plan, there are plenty of dessert options to choose from. Guests often expect wedding cakes, but there are also many delicious alternatives! Here are all the details you need to know about wedding cakes and dessert options for your Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill or NC wedding!
When Should I Book My Wedding Cake?
Here in the south, the wedding cake is a big part of the reception. Tradition holds that the newlyweds cut the cake together. Certainly, it’s a fun photo opportunity. And for cake lovers, it’s a given!
It is ideal to book your wedding cake or wedding desserts six months to one year in advance of the event.
Some of the local wedding cake artists in the Raleigh-Durham area and across NC are brick and mortar shops. These bakeries might be able to accommodate your needs closer to the date. But even they have a quota of how many weddings they are able to accommodate in one day or weekend. It is even harder to snag a spot with the fantastic solo wedding cake artists. So we say, don’t wait!
How Much Do Wedding Cakes Cost in Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill NC?
The cost of your wedding cake will be based on guest count. The range is anywhere from $6 to $12 per slice. Of course there are other factors such as the intricacy of the design, and the time it takes the wedding cake baker to create the work of art! Buttercream icing with a simple design is not as pricey as structured or hand-painted fondant.
Money Saving Tips When Considering Your Wedding Cake or Dessert
- If you want a big classic wedding cake but don’t quite have the budget for it, the baker can make the cake only the bottom layer and create a dummy cake up top. They can make a flat sheet cake which is what is actually cut up and handed out to the guests. This saves money AND time!
- Cupcakes and Cakepops are adorable – and a good deal! They also provide more options for your guests to choose from.
- Full pies are a better deal than individual sized ones.
- Ask your caterer if they create any wedding desserts. Many of them do, and this can be a money-saver if you add it to a package. At the very least, the wedding caterer’s desserts might complement the classic wedding cake!
Types of Wedding Cakes
The cake you choose should be as special as your dress. It should represent both of you as a couple. Also, it doesn’t have to be traditional. The majority of people prefer creative wedding cakes to traditional tiered ones. Here are just a few choices to consider.
- Traditional Wedding Cake – If it ain’t broke don’t break it! This classic option is usually a vanilla or chocolate cake with buttercream frosting. This is the most common cake chosen for weddings, as it is loved by all.
- Cupcakes – Perfect for smaller receptions or when you don’t want a large formal cake. You can serve them on a dessert table or at the end of the meal, or even put them in clear holders and use them as table centerpieces.
- Cake Pops – These miniature treats made from baked cake and frosting are often decorated to look like little wedding-themed desserts. They are great for serving at a dessert table or at the end of a meal.
Tips for Your Wedding Cake Appointment
Wedding cake tastings are one of the best parts of planning! Most people do this with their baker in person. However, some wedding cake artists in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill do pick-up tastings. Pick up samples, and taste them at home! You’ll have the option to zoom with your baker to discuss the flavors on the spot – or follow up on your own time.
You might be thinking “there’s more than just picking the flavor?” The short answer is, yes. But don’t worry, we have you covered.
Follow these tips and you’ll be sure to love your wedding cake.
- Create a vision board with your favorite looks. A professional baker will be able to take the inspiration you bring, and go from there.
- You will want to consider your overall style when choosing your wedding cake. Are you planning a formal wedding? Do you want to have that classic “cutting the wedding cake” photography moment? Perhaps a 3 tiered cake is for you. Make sure to find a cake artist who specializes in this type of design.
- If you and your fiance have completely different taste in your sweets, a dessert bar is a great choice.
- A dessert bar is also great if you have some guests with dietary restrictions.
- You can choose from many different flavors, as well as different styles. You can even create a unique flavor for your cake if you hire a bakery that does custom cakes.
Don’t forget about your guests who have dietary restrictions. There are bakeries in the NC Triangle that specialize in dairy free and gluten free wedding desserts. Many of the classic wedding cake bakers also accommodate these needs.
Other Wedding Dessert Ideas
What if traditional isn’t your … slice of cake? Many couples have opted out of going for your more common multi-tiered cakes and gone down more unconventional routes. This can either surround a traditional wedding cake, or replace it. Many wedding cake bakers can accommodate there, too! The sky’s the limit with dessert options. Perhaps you love pastries, pie, or ice-cream. It’s your day! Also note, any dessert you can imagine can be made into individual serving sizes.
If you’ve been trying cakes and nothing is speaking to you. Read & Bookmark our non-traditional dessert ideas blog. Or, perhaps try one of these dessert choices:
- Interactive stations to liven up your event.
- s’more bars
- cotton candy as an accent to your specialty cocktail
- ice cream stations
- Donut Walls
- Macaron towers
- Cookie Bouquets – Easy to serve. This sweet treat can be arranged elegantly into bouquets, alongside a selection of warm milk or hot chocolate drinks. You can mix and match flavors and even use seasonal fruits to decorate them to fit perfectly with your wedding theme.
- Fresh Fruit Skewers – both healthy and delicious. Fresh fruit skewers make a great alternative to sugary desserts at your wedding. Serve them alongside a variety of dipping sauces like melted chocolate, hot caramel and berry coulis.
- Donut Walls – Serving donuts on a tray table? Try serving them off a wall instead. Your guests will be talking about it for years to come. A donut wall is a fantastic way to stand out. By mixing and matching different flavors and icings you can create an extraordinary work of art that is both beautiful and delicious all at the same time.
- Croquembouche – This elegant tower of cream puffs is a french wedding classic. A fun and scrumptious alternative to a tiered cake. Guaranteed to turn heads when your guests walk into the reception.
- Think about a sweet treat at the wedding exit. Milk and cookies are a great send off!
Getting Started with your Wedding Cake Journey – our Heart of NC Weddings recommended bakers in Raleigh, Durham, Cary and Chapel Hill
When it comes to your wedding day, the details matter. Each of the professional wedding cake designers recommended on this page are licensed by the state. These Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and Cary NC bakeries make beautiful and delicious wedding cakes. Additionally, they make cupcakes, pastries, macarons, cookies, chocolates and whatever you might desire for your wedding.