How Much Does a Wedding Cake Cost?
How much does a wedding cake cost? What about a dessert buffet or a groom’s cake? Do I really need a five tier wedding cake?
Like everything else, the cost of your wedding cake depends on your guest count. Professional wedding cake bakeries in the Triangle Area are averaging around $6 per slice – but that number can go up to as high as $12 per slice for cakes with intricate fondant designs. The average wedding cake price in the U.S. is $500, with most couples spending somewhere between $300 and $700. One easy budget hack is to talk to your baker about presenting a smaller cake for the cutting and a sheet cake in the back for the caterers to serve. This strategy works best with a dessert buffet – otherwise your small wedding cake might look a little lonely!
All of our recommend cake vendors can bake a multitude of sweet treats ranging from chocolate eclairs all the way to macaron towers. Explore your options, come up with a vision, and your baker is sure to deliver!
Wedding Dessert Checklist
- Budget how much you plan to spend on the wedding cake/desserts
- Create a vision board of wedding cake and dessert inspiration
- Attend a tasting with your boo
- Schedule a consultation with your top local bakery choice
- Book your wedding cake/desserts 3-6 months before the big day
Creative Ways to Display Your Wedding Cake or Dessert
Flavors are no longer the only way for you to get creative with wedding cakes and desserts. Modern weddings are all about creating an experience when it comes to designing a cake or dessert display. Let your wedding guests participate in dessert time on a new level. We’ve seen cakes suspended from the ceiling on wooden swings, build your own ice cream sundae bars, s’mores stations, and donuts being fried right in front of your eyes! Talk to your baker and wedding planner about designing a unique dessert table display. Think about your dessert as an extension of your wedding’s style and theme. Not only will it taste amazing, but also your family will be talking about the experience for years to come!
Wedding Cake Alternatives
- Pies or miniature tarts are good for the soul
- Ice cream sundae bar delight
- Candy bar with to-go bags
- Donut wall on plexiglass, greenery or shelves
- Cake pops or macaron tower
- Custom cookies or cupcakes with your newlywed monogram
- Milkshake shots or mini milk and cookies for the late night win