Should I Hire a Live Band or a DJ for my Wedding?
Wedding Music Tips From East Coast Entertainment (ECE)
What will be the soundtrack to your wedding? Every unforgettable event, celebration and party has a playlist. Your wedding music will be a top priority when it comes to planning for your big day. This blog discusses the budget for wedding music, reception venue size and the benefits of hiring a DJ or live band for your event. Each of these elements will influence your final decision on wedding music.
NC wedding music professionals, East Coast Entertainment (ECE) helped us write this blog. ECE is the top music booking agency in the nation. With a regional office in Raleigh, ECE helps engaged NC couples plan the best wedding music for their dream day. ECE has the largest selection of wedding bands, DJs and specialty musicians anywhere. Without further ado, cue the music!
Wedding Music Planning Tip #1: Know Your Budget
On the day of your wedding you want to hear the music of your favorite song, not the sound of your bank account breaking. Start by setting a wedding music budget. Sit down and talk with your fiancé and anyone else involved in planning your wedding and discuss your goals. From there, prioritize and allocate available funds to the wedding music elements and any other entertainment aspects that are special to you both. The cost of quality entertainment in NC is reasonable. Below you’ll find the average cost breakdown.
How Much Do Ceremony Musicians Cost?
Typically, wedding ceremony musicians start around $300 for a soloist and up for duos and trios.
How Much Does a Wedding DJ Cost?
Professional DJs in the Raleigh area start at about $1,000 for base packages. The cost for a wedding DJ increases with the addition of extra hours, special add-ons, as well as level of experience. Check out our preferred NC wedding DJs.
How Much Does a Live Band at Cost?
On average, live bands cost from $2,500 to $6,000.
If you do choose to work with ECE music booking agency to find your perfect wedding music, be honest about your budget. ECE respects and accommodates every client and their specific budget.
Wedding Music Planning Tip #2: Match Your Reception Size with Your Entertainment Size
For both practical and aesthetic reasons, you want the size of your wedding music entertainment to complement the size of your reception. For example, if you are having an intimate, backyard wedding reception of fewer than 50, you might want to skip the 10-piece live band for a three person bluegrass band. Or if you’re hosting a reception for over 150 people, you might want to hire an experienced DJ who will keep the party going all night long. Check to make sure your reception venue has the infrastructure for the wedding music or entertainment you desire. If you are hosting an event in a remote location or that is outside, consider whether the space has the appropriate utilities available.
Are you unsure what size of entertainment will work best at your wedding venue? Ask your event planner, venue coordinator, or ECE music booking agency.
Wedding Music Planning Tip #3: Hire a Professional DJ
It might be tempting to let your favorite cousin, who knows all the best music, play DJ at your wedding. But please don’t. Aside from the long list of nightmare scenarios that come with an amateur DJ, there are so many amazing reasons for hiring a professional NC wedding DJ.
- Professional DJ’s come prepared. On the day of your wedding, the DJ arrives early to set up all of their own, excellent sound equipment (not your cousin’s bluetooth speaker).
- Professional DJ’s have an endless variety of songs at their fingertips. Forget trying to download albums last minute onto your iTunes account. A professional DJ can adjust to the mood of the event, take requests, and easily play music from any genre.
- Professional DJ’s know how to read a crowd. A DJ can provide a constant flow of carefully selected music that appropriately fits the mood of your event at different points throughout the night.
- Professional DJ’s know how to announce on microphone. The last thing you want is your cousin to be mumbling incoherent gibberish into the microphone. Hire a DJ that can clearly announce your wedding reception entrance, first dance, blessings, toasts, and more.
Wedding Music Planning Tip #4: Hire a Live Band
Witnessing a live performance is an experience. Exactly in the same way going to a live concert is ten times more exciting than listening to an album from your earbuds at home. Hiring a live band to supply your wedding music is an excellent decision. Here’s why:
- Live bands are artists. These musicians are incredibly talented NC artists who have trained or devoted their entire lives to creating music for audiences.
- Live bands know how to engage with an audience. Party bands are dramatic and high-energy, so guests who don’t enjoy dancing will still have fun watching the live band perform.
- Live bands are diverse. You can hire a folksy acoustic band, a snazzy jazz ensemble, or even a show-stopping soul band. The options are limitless at ECE!
- Live bands are flexible. Most live bands you hire have a prolific list of songs that they already know extremely well and are experienced in performing. In addition, many live bands will learn a special song by request before your wedding!
The Final Takeaway for Planning Your Wedding Music
The bottom line? Whether hiring a DJ, live band, or any type of entertainment, ask lots of questions. It is important that your professionals are familiar with entertainment for wedding events – not just bars and fraternities. Professional wedding DJs and live bands are the route to go for smooth and extraordinary wedding memories.
Barry Herndon of ECE music booking agency tells us that,
“Using an entertainment agency like ECE can save you tons of time, headaches, and money. Agents are incredibly knowledgeable of all varieties of music and entertainment that are professional, as well as fun and engaging. You provide them with basic parameters such as the event date, city, budget, and music preferences, and they send you a pared down list of artists that meet your requirements.”